PBL in Australia

Welcome to my blog - this time I am in Newcastle, Australia! I am an invited researcher at the University of Newcastle and will be researching aspects of PBL. Read all about it here!

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Vegemite...

So I did it. I ate some vegemite. On toast with margarine. It was at 1 am after an evening of eating some great food and drinking some great wine. That may have played a role in my feelings about it.
It was overpowering and salty and VERY yeasty!
I worked for years with Drosophila (fruit flies) in genetic and evolutionary experiments and we cooked their food in the Zoology building at UBC. On those days, the entire building would smell like yeast and other things that were quite terrible.
Vegemite tastes exactly like the smell of that horrible hot room of fruit fly food.
We realized that we were living out some of the Men At Work song lyrics...
"...I come from the land down under..."
"...he just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich..."
Until I tried it, I thought I would fit right in here in Australia. Maybe not...

2 comments:

  1. Paste of the devil!
    And we know you won't be writing any restaurant menus anytime soon..! :)
    I love all things Australian except beetroot and vegemite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is...it really is...
    I love all things Australian except vegemite.
    And dangerous, poisonous spiders and snakes.

    ReplyDelete